Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What are sharps and flats?

Ok, let's take a look at what a sharp or flat note is exactly. When you look at your piano/keyboard you should see a pattern of black keys and white keys. We're going to focus on the black ones for this lesson. On the piano, the black keys come in sets of two and then three. Let's tackle the set of two first. The first one, starting from left to right, this key is known as C# (or C sharp) and also known as Db (or D flat). Ok, so I'm sure you're probably scratching your head right about now, but don't be intimidated, I'm going to explain! For now, I will just give you the names of the keys, and how they get their names will be another lesson. The 2nd of the set of two black keys is known as D# (or D sharp) and also known as Eb (or E flat). Now look at the set of three. The first in the set is the key F# (F sharp) or Gb (G flat). The 2nd key in the set of three is G# (G sharp) or Ab (A flat). Lastly, the 3rd key in the set of three is A# (A sharp) or Bb (B flat). I'm going to stop this lesson here, but I promise I won't leave you in the dark for long! At least for now, you've been given the correct names to call each key.

God Bless
Rayshon =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?